Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his family regularly receive gifts from heads of state and other foreign dignitaries.
Among them are the more routine items: clothing, glass bowls and artwork native to the gift-giver’s countries. Others are more odd, such as a pair of Nike shoes given to the prime minister by an NFL owner.
Federal ethics rules require public office holders to declare any acceptable gift or other advantages valued at over $200 that they or their family accept. Gifts valued at $1,000 or more must be forfeited.
In total, Trudeau has declared 381 gifts to the federal Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner in his time as a politician. Here are some recent items:
- U.S. President Donald Trump gifted Trudeau a customized copy of Mark Twain’s “Roughing It” during his visit to the White House in June. The book is presented in a linen sleeve.
- King Abdullah II of Jordan gifted Trudeau a sterling silver trinket box presented in a leather case when the royal visited Ottawa in November.
- The king also gave the Trudeau family a “marble Al-Sadu design plate by artisans at Naqsh,” as a holiday gift.
- The owners of Rose Buddha, an environmentally-conscious clothing store in Saint Odilon, Que., gifted active wear to Sophie Grégoire.
- U.S. ambassador to NATO Kay Bailey Hutchison gifted Trudeau a Waterford crystal bowl during the summit in London in December.
- Country singer Brett Kissel gifted Trudeau an Epiphone vintage sunburst acoustic guitar and case as part of Canada Day celebrations.
- French President Emmanuel Macron gifted Trudeau a ceramic structure called “Our Mother Earth” by Goicoechea Pottery. The present was forfeited.
- Former broadcaster and hockey executive Ron Bremner gifted Trudeau an iconic 1972 Team Canada sweater, signed by the players.
- Former U.S. ambassador to Canada Kelly Knight Craft gifted an expensive bottle of Van Winkle special reserve 12-year Kentucky bourbon during an August meeting in Ottawa.
- Alibaba founder Jack Ma gifted Trudeau a set of porcelain and bamboo-joint cups, including censer and incense sticks, to celebrate Chinese New Year.
- New England Patriots president Robert Kraft gifted Trudeau a pair of Nike Air Force 1 shoes first released by the company in 2018 to honour the team owner.
- Atikamekw First Nation gifted Trudeau a canvas portrait painting of Chief Poundmaker after he was exonerated in May.
More from iPolitics